Saturday, January 13, 2007

Books Are Either Dreams or Swords

My blogging has been light lately because I have been working on a book proposal. Not being a trained writer, as many of you may have guessed by now, it is a terrific challenge. I went to art school, so painting and drawing are my better talents. In painting you can make broad sweeps of the brush, leaps with color and light or be completely abstract. But with writing you have to be pinpoint specific, produce a sculpture of words, finely arranged.

I have had a short story published before, but it was a somewhat simpler task than the one presently at hand. I give a lot of credit to writers, even the mass-market paperback hacks, writing a book is not an easy thing to do. Don't want to jinx it by saying too much too soon, but I will say this -- it isn't about politics. It is a non-fiction title however, and I do have an agent as well as lot of publishing and media contacts.

Of course I will still be photographing and covering any interesting political events that I attend in the near future. There are some coming up, so please stay tuned.

I would love to know what all of you are reading, what's in your book pile and what you recommend.

9 Comments:

Blogger Urban Infidel said...

otter,
You write sci-fi?

Do tell!

January 14, 2007 10:20 AM  
Blogger Always On Watch said...

In my book pile:

Steinbeck's Of Mice and Men

Benning's War, which was written by this fellow. In the afterward, he speaks of how he got his training to write fiction

Obama's Dreams from My Father--I'm looking to see if I spot any taqiyya

Styron's Darkness Visible

The Cross and the Crescent.

I recommend Stephen King's On Wroting for tips as to how to pen your masterwork. ;)

January 14, 2007 12:08 PM  
Blogger Urban Infidel said...

AOW,

That is an ExcELLENT idea! You must be psychic because a few weeks ago, I read an interview with Stephen King from the NYT Book Review that was VERY helpful for me. I will definitely get that book you suggested. Thanks!

On my future list is Ayaan Hirsi Ali's upcoming book,'Infidel'.

Reading now:
Animals in Translation: Using the Mysteries of Autism to Decode Animal Behavior by Temple Grandin

Because They Hate: A Survivor of Islamic Terror Warns America by Brigitte Gabriel

Persian Poets /Everyman's Library Pocket Poets

Book pile is too long to detail but here is the short list [subject to change]:
Locked Doors: The Seizure of Jewish Property in Arab Countries by Itamar Levin

Atomic Iran by Jerome Corsi

Hating America: A History by Barry Rubin and Rubin

A friend of mine dropped off a copy of Tariq Ramadan's new book 'In the Footsteps of the Prophet' as a joke. Its comedy gold.

January 14, 2007 2:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Best of luck! I know writing is tough. The only thing I've had published was an op-ed column in my local newspaper, which I'd submitted as a letter to the editor. It was far too long for that, but the paper liked it enough and printed it as an op-ed piece and paid me $50.

AOW's advice about King's On Writing is good...King provides some great pointers (kill your darlings!) and will make you rethink your approach.

As far as modern-day writers, it's tough to beat James Lee Burke for pure prose.

January 15, 2007 8:05 AM  
Blogger Urban Infidel said...

Eric!
Posting all the way from the Far East. Thanks for dropping in.

I ordered King's 'On Writing'. My book is non-fiction but I know I can get some good pointers there since signs are pointing me in his direction.
Not a huge King fan, but I respect him and my subject matter is scary. I have a feeling King would enjoy it.

January 15, 2007 10:09 AM  
Blogger American Crusader said...

I'm already looking forward to your first book signing.
Any chance for a discount?

January 15, 2007 4:46 PM  
Blogger American Crusader said...

The typewriter in your picture is fantastic. I have one circa 1920 made by UNDERWOOD. The UNDERWOOD 5 is in great working condition but is not very valuable because of how many were made.
OK...now I've even bored myself to death.
Good luck!

January 15, 2007 4:52 PM  
Blogger Always On Watch said...

Urban Infidel,
You won't be sorry that you've bought King's book. The man is a master writer. He was an English major, you know.

January 16, 2007 7:18 AM  
Blogger Brooke said...

I'm currently reading Dante's The Divine Comedy.

It is of course, VERY SLOW going with three small kids, and all those blogs I'm addicted to. ;)

January 16, 2007 1:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home